The 16 storybook modules are the heart of Read, Play, and Learn!®. Each module has been developed around a childrens storybook that becomes the basis for 2 weeks (or 10 days) worth of activities.
The storybook modules are 80-page, 8-1/2" x 11" booklets that are available separately and also come in boxed sets referred to as "Collections." Collection 1 and Collection 2 each contain eight modules, and together they span a typical fall-to-spring school year.
Whats in Each Module
Each of the 16 modules follows the same format with the following sections:
- The Story: A brief summary of the storybook, with information on where to get the book.
- The Planning Sheets: Charts for at-a-glance reference to all of the suggested activities for the 2 weeks.
- Vocabulary: A list of the key words and concepts, including labels, action words, and descriptors, to which children can be introduced in the module
- Materials: A list of the toys and equipment, supplies, food, and other items needed for the module.
- Areas/Centers: A description of 10 days of different activities for each area or center in the classroom, plus suggested modifications for children functioning at the sensorimotor, functional, and symbolic levels of learning.
- How to Involve Families: Sample letters with recommendations to help keep family members or other caregivers informed.
- More Suggestions: Additional storybooks and other activities (e.g., songs, fingerplays, resources, computer games) that can be used with the module.
Changing the Sequence of the Modules
You can use the modules in the sequence they appear in or in any other order that suits the time of year, your geographic location and climate, or the interests of your learners, or your own needs.
If you are for some reason unable to locate a storybook, suggestions for the most appropriate substitution are included in each module.